Here I Go Again...

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Mohinga and Other Thoughts

Observations:

1.) Mohinga: Mohinga (I have no idea how to spell it; there likely isn't a proper English written way anyhow) is a Burmese dish. Noodle-based, with this broth comprised of fish and onions and stuff. It's sort of like a make-your-own sundae event, except it's make your own Mohinga. You can add green beans, cilantro, fish sauce, fried garlic, chili, etc. I've written about it before. Because it seems to be analogous to pizza in the US. People devour it. Every time it seems to be a competition of how quickly it can be shoveled into one's gullet. This does not happen with other foods, only Mohinga.

2.) I eat slower than everybody. My love for Mohinga is usually questioned because of it.

3.) Popular cell phone rings: We Wish You a Merry Christmas and Jingle Bells.

4.) Side cars on motorcycles: Can be used as a mobile noodle shop, a place for people to sit, a place to carry fish that you are going to sell. They are, however, frustrating to pass on the road as they move slowly and jut out into traffic. Did I mention that my latest and greatest side responsibility is driving the office pick-up truck? I have to use my left hand to shift gears, sit on the right, and drive on the left side of the road.

5.) A snobby church group from Texas: They are visiting for a week or so. My boss is obsessed with showing them around, as he feels they do not understand the situation for Burmese migrants in Thailand (they don't. I tried to explain). They are NOT nice. Always have a look on their faces like they smell something bad. I was my very nicest with them and they still were aloof. And I keep running into them. As a cynical east-coaster, I certainly do my fair share of Texas-mocking (particularly since the current administration assumed power). That being said, some of the nicest people I know are from Texas. Until these guys came along. Folks, we're in a foreign country on the other side of the world, far from our homeland. WE SHARE THAT HOMELAND. For crying out loud, just crack a smile for me.

6.) The symmetry of rubber plantations is amazing. The trees are spaced the same distance away from the trees next to them, as well as the trees in front and behind them. Multiply that by thousands. It's most fascinating to observe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew McMahan said...

Meghan Just tell the Texans that you promise if they smile you will get them...
1. A steak Dinner
2. A gun
3. An oil well

This should make them feel right at home.

IF that doesn't work just say "Hey brothers and sister, W.W.J.D??" He would smile.

July 28, 2006 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home