Here I Go Again...

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Ants.

There are ants everywhere. Right now there are about 7 floating in my coffee. They are in on my clothes. In my hair. They even manage to crawl inside of my toothpaste cap. As I brushed some off of my water bottle this morning so I could ingest some protein-free water, I realized how comfortable I've become with all of the ants (which really were initially quite disgusting, despite my fondness for bugs).

We don't have water today at home. Usually Thailand is great for things like electricity and water. I suppose it needs to occasionally remind its country-people that it is not quite developed yet. The lack of water threw my (apparently very clean?) neighbors into an uproar. So much so that they stood in front of our three attached rooms complaining loudly about it from 7 am on. One, who I work with, has spent the last hour trying to shower in the office (first the shower was not clean enough, then she had to buy soap that wouldn't rough up her skin, etc.) I'm sure I'm now considered the filthy one as I used my flushing bucket water (clean water collected to flush the toilet) to wash my face and brush my teeth so that I could get on with things.

My birthday was funny. Lots of usual birthday cultural confusion. A very jazzy rendition of Happy Birthday is sung here. I think someone, at some point, worked for World Vision (which is a Christian NGO) as the lesser-known second verse of Happy Birthday is used- "May God bless you always, may God bless you always... ." So yeah, 26. Seems old compared to 25. Need to get moving.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is gross

July 25, 2006 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home